This morning Mrs Mead spoke bravely and intelligently about the death of her son. The lack of awareness and difficulty in diagnosing septicaemia is clear. This case might bring (I was shocked to hear) the UK's second biggest killer into discussion and onto needed training.
Speaking about sepsis, she said "hardly anyone knows what it is" and called for better awareness among GPs and parents. Twelve-month-old William, from Penryn, died on 14 December 2014. At that time, the cause of death was put down to natural causes, but a coroner's inquest in June 2015 found he had died from treatable blood poisoning - known as septicaemia - caused by a long-standing chest infection. Mrs Mead had taken him to the GP numerous times in the months leading up to his death.